rubber dam

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Best Day So Far . . .

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Operative dentistry was our only class today. We met from 8am until 5pm. We got our hi-speed and slow-speed handpieces back today with our names engraved on them. We hooked them up to our simulator and took them for a test drive. We cut patterns into a "learn-a-prep" material that somewhat represents the enamel and dentin of a tooth (but, much, much softer). It was a blast. I didn't think it was too tough, although it is something that I'm far from being good at. Our goals were to try and cut down 1.75 mm and create a flat and smooth pulpal floor with vertical smooth walls. I found that an inital cut removing 80% of the material with the hi-speed handpiece using the #330 bur, followed by the slow-speed with a #55 produced the best results.

Honestly, it was almost like Christmas. By the time 5pm came around, it was hard to put it all away and go home. We spent the entire day learning how to hold the handpiece and using to cut preps. Next time we meet in Operative, we will be cutting our first prep on a tooth. We will be cutting an MO on #30.

I also got fitted for my loupes today. It took about 10 minutes total. I'm looking forward to trying them out in the lab.

Tomorrow is another 8am to 5pm day. We'll be in Biochem for an hour, and the rest of the day we will be in Human Anatomy. However, at 4pm tomorrow we are having a Cioppino feed hosted by the Alumni. It's a seafood stew that is supposed to pretty good.

1 Comments:

  • Hello there! I made my way to your site from SDN. You wouldn't recognize my SN from SDN because I rarely post and prefer to simply browse different threads. I'm still in the pre-dental days but I find your posts very interesting as I look toward the future. I wish you all the luck and keep you the good work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home