rubber dam

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Thursday, September 1, 2005

Going into school early paid off today. I was able to cut a MO on #19 that good enough to get checked off. Thank goodness for that. In some students mailboxes today, invitations were placed to attend remedial operative every Saturday from 9am to 12pm. While I'm glad I avoided the invitation, I'm also impressed. The faculty are willing to give up their Saturday mornings to make sure students can master these skills.

In lecture, we learned the specifics of how to cut a DO (distal occlusal) prep on #12 (a premolar) and how to place a rubberdam. They made it seem like both would be difficult, but I found the opposite to be true. Both tasks were fun. I need more practice placing the rubberdam, but it was easier than the powerpoint presentation made it sound.

I spent the entire day cutting class II preps on teeth. I also found some time to practice condensing amalgam in to class I preps. In the afternoon, we had a brief demo on condensing class II preps with amalgam. The only difference is that we have to place a metal matrix band to support the amalgam between the teeth in that box that I've been trying to learn to cut for the last couple of weeks.

My handskills are coming along nicely. Our row instructor demands perfection, and although we aren't turning out perfect preps, I'm impressed with the work that is being done in our row. I'm glad it's as tough as it is.

As an aside, if anyone here is from the New Orleans or Mississippi area or attending school down there, I'd like to say we are thinking about you. We are gathering money to send to the area to help out. I've been tempted to use my airline ticket to fly down and help out however I can. The destruction is awful and my heart sinks when I read the news stories and see the pictures. My family is praying for everyone down there. I hope for the best for eveyone who has been affected by this terrible tragedy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home